ILS Celebrates International Women’s Day
Today, March 8, marks International Women’s Day, a day to celebrate women’s social, cultural, political, and economic achievements. International Women’s Day has been celebrated for well over a century. It was officially marked for the first time in 1911 and celebrated by over a million people in just four countries. Today, International Women’s Day is a globally recognized day to celebrate the lives of women in all nations, cultures, and beliefs.
Coverage of the Successful EUTELSAT 5 West B / Mission Extension Vehicle-1 Launch
Congratulations to our customers EUTELSAT 5 West B / Mission Extension Vehicle-1 on the launch of their respective satellites!
EUTELSAT 5 West B / Mission Extension Vehicle-1 Spacecrafts Arrive at Launch Pad 39
The Integrated Launch Vehicle and the EUTELSAT 5 West B / Mission Extension Vehicle-1 spacecrafts are now at Launch Pad 39! All testings and the countdown rehearsal were completed successfully.
EUTELSAT 5 West B / Mission Extension Vehicle-1
Vehicle: Proton Breeze M (Phase IV)
Twitter Tags: #EUTELSAT5WestB, #NorthropGrumman
- Satellite Names: EUTELSAT 5 West B & Mission Extension Vehicle-1
- Satellite Operator: Eutelsat & SpaceLogistics LLC
- Satellite Manufacturer: NGIS
- Satellite Mission: Supersynchronous Transfer Orbit (SSTO)
EUTELSAT 5 West B is a Ku-band satellite to be located at 5° West, a key video neighbourhood addressing predominantly French, Italian and Algerian broadcast markets. The new satellite will provide business continuity and improved quality for these markets via a Ku-band payload of 35 equivalent 36 MHz transponders connected to three service areas. Switchable transponders will also increase commercial flexibility. Eutelsat selected Airbus Defence and Space and Northrop Grumman to build the new satellite. Airbus Defence and Space built the satellite’s payload while the platform was manufactured by Northrop Grumman.
The Northrop Grumman-manufactured Mission Extension Vehicle-1 (MEV-1) delivers groundbreaking satellite life-extension services through the company’s subsidiary SpaceLogistics. MEV‑1 docks to client vehicles in geosynchronous orbit using existing satellite features to provide attitude and orbit control of the combined vehicle stack. MEV‑1 has the ability to dock and undock several times during its 15 year design life, allowing it to service multiple customers. SpaceLogistics’ initial service, using the MEV‑1, will extend the life of the Intelsat 901 satellite for five years. SpaceLogistics is pioneering the future of space by demonstrating the fundamentals of satellite servicing with MEV‑1.
- Platform: E5WB – GeoStar-2, MEV-1 – GeoStar-3
- Separated Mass: 2864 kg / 2326 kg
- Satellite Design Life: 15+ years
- Mission Time: 15 hours and 54 minutes
- 1st ILS Proton Launch of 2019
- 2nd ILS Dual Launch / 1st Dual Launch with 2 Commercial Satellites
- 97th ILS Proton Launch Overall
- 8th Eutelsat Satellite Launched on ILS Proton
- 6th and 7th NGIS Satellite Launched on ILS Proton
- 1st SpaceLogistics Satellite Launched on ILS Proton